Sunday, February 28, 2010

Jumpin Jambalaya!

I am coining a new cuisine term that is a perfect description for the following recipe for Jumpin Jambalaya. I am calling it, "Left-Over Fusion". Definition: Transforming leftovers into new, scrumptious dishes.

I started out with leftover chicken italian sausage and Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley that was basically unseasoned, and ended up with a spicy jambalaya that is full of flavor! I will definitely make this again! Of course, you can use any type of rice and sausage you wish, but here is the remaining ingredients and recipe:


Jumpin Jambalaya


Leftovers used:

3 chicken italian sausages, cooked and sliced

4 cups cooked Brown Rice Medley


2 T bacon fat

1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips

2 1/2 cups sliced onions, cut into strips

1/4 c chopped fresh Italian parsley

4 c water

2 T Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp Tabasco


In a 12" skillet, cook the onions until browned with the bacon fat on medium heat. Add parsley and bell pepper and cook an additional 10 minutes. Add water, soup mix, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add sausages, rice, and Tabasco. Stir until liquid is mostly absorbed into rice.


Approximately 4 servings.


Chef's notes: Not for wimps. I also pulled out some of the sauce and sauteed shrimp separately since my dinner companion does not like shrimp. Excellent!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the leftover fusion concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!!! This is a brilliant recipe that I know I will be a real joy to eat. I am planning to make one for a lot of people. Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely make this at home.

    ReplyDelete