Monday, April 12, 2010

An Acquired Taste to Love

Brussel sprouts are an acquired taste, either you love them or you can leave them. I happen to be the only person in my household that loves them, lucky me -- I can cook them however I want.

I was feeling a creative and wanted to experiment with different textures, tastes, and shapes. I ended up throwing in what caught my eye and ended up with a combination of crunchy, soft, smooth and exceptionally tasty.

I bought a new point and shoot camera last week after being without one for several months. I am so grateful that I had one at this point because I think the presentation on this side dish is pretty colorful.

Brussel Sprouts with Mushrooms and Pistachios

Serves: 2

12 brussel sprouts
4 button mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 T dry roasted, unsalted pistachio nutmeats
2T bacon fat
1 pinch Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Prepare brussel sprouts by chopping off dried ends and slicing in half. Place in a bowl of water to rinse off any dirt. Wash and slice mushrooms.

Heat bacon fat on Med heat until melted. Add brussel sprouts and saute for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and onions and saute until onions are browned and sprouts to desired tenderness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss in pistachio nutmeats. Saute for an additional 2 minutes. Serve warm.

Chefs Notes: I cooked my sprouts approximately 15 minutes, I enjoy them on the crunchy side

1 comment: